Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Tonight was the annual NBA draft lottery, and I would like to take this time to tell you I HATE THE LOTTERY. (I cant lie, I was not saying that same thing when Bulls won the lotto and picked Derrick Rose, but that is beside the point) The lotto just is not fair. It needs to be record based such as the NFL and MLB. While I like the anticipation and the prevention of tanking, its just not fair for a team that is legitimately terrible. They deserve the best possible chance to make their team better. Weve seen it year after year, teams with low chances to win the #1 pick, end up winning. And in the case of some teams (San Antonio) it can create a dynasty. So tonight we had the Nets and the Wolves the two worst teams in the NBA, with the best "chance" to get the top picks. Except its a lottery and that did not happen. They instead got the 3rd and 4th picks. Now the Wolves I just laugh at because they are just a failure of an organization that it doesnt even matter. They could have won and they would have picked someone like DeMarcus Cousins even though they have two really good big men. Last year was a disaster picking two pgs, neither of which turned out to be a top rookie, and one of which went back to europe. So here we go, I am going to attempt a mock lotto draft. A lot of Mock Drafts simply go with the bes talent available, and while in some cases I cant argue with that I tend to believe that you should chose the person who best fits your team within reason. EVERYONE has turner going second, but is he that much better than Favors to where you ignore a team need? I dont think so. This is one mans opinion albeit probably not a popular one.



1. Wizards --John Wall Lets be honest, as much as the lotto sucks, they needed this. With all the drama over this season, trading away the bulk of their team, and needing a franchise facelift the Wiz will be able to selct a surefire player in John Wall. I think he will be a perfect fit for this team. Some say Arenas may leave and if he does that they should select Turner. I still think that they should pick Wall. I dont think he will be as dominate right away as Rose and Evans were, but I think he is a better playmaker than either and this team (especially with Arenas) has some talent and adding Wall into the mix could push them back to around a 40 win team.



2. 76ers -- Derrick Favors This is an interesting pick. I dont really feel like Turner fits well with this team as he is esentially similar players to Igoudala and Thadeous Young. Turner is not a great shooter (36% 3pt) and in college he really took advantage of his size and quickness. Does that gap tighten now that he is in the NBA? I actually like Favors with this pick. Athletic size is coveted, and this kid is a beast at 6-10 215. Avg 12.4 pts, 8.4 rebs, and 2blks per game for a pretty mediocre GA Tech team. When your frontcourt consists of Elton Brand, Maurice Speights, and Samuel Dalembert, I dont think you take a 6-7 SG. Especially when you have AI, and Young.



3. New Jersey -- Evan Turner. Nets fans and brass are probably crying, weeping, sobing and drinking a lot of alcohol at the sound of hearing they landed at #3. But if my scenario plays out they will be estatic. This is a perfect fit for the Nets, as they dont really have a player who can dominate with the ball in his hands. Teaming him with Deven Harris and Brook Lopez will give the Nets a great core to build around for the future.



4. Minnesota -- Wesley Johnson If they could use this draft pick for a front office that might be better for the timberwolves than an actual player. BUT since they cant do that I think they choose Wesley Johnson. They need a slasher and someone who cant dominate taking the ball to the rack, and Johnson fits the billing. A decent shooter, I think Johnson will make the Wolves a better team, Al Jefferson, Kevin Love, Wes Johnson, Corey Brewer and Johnny Flynn is not a terrible starting lineup. However the rest of the team is just plain awful and that is why they wont be a more than mediocre. Though remember when I said they would screw the first pick up by taking DeMarcus Cousins? Well I can forsee David Kahn messing up this pick and doing just that. For wolves fans (looking around, anyone, anyone?) I hope that doesnt happen.



5. Sacramento -- DeMarcus Cousins. Sacramento could really really REALLY use a good shooting guard to complement Evans, and they have a decent front line of Landry, Hawes, and Thompson. But the next best guard/forward prospect is probably Gordon Heyward or Xavier Henry and that would be a BIG BIG REACH here. I think if someone told Sacramento that they could have Cousins at this pick they probably wouldnt have the made the Landry/Martin trade, because a martin type is what they could use. You just cant pass up the physical specimen that is Cousins because I feel the talent drop-off gets significant. Aminu is an option here but he is pretty much like Landry and I could envision Sac-Town trading this pick, but if not Cousins is there man.



6. Golden State -- Ekpe Udoh. Could there be a better fit of player and team in this draft? Udoh basically played in the college version of the Golden State Warriors at Baylor, and was a beast on the boards and defensive end for the Bears, averaging 9.8 boards and 3.7 blocks. Yes that 3.7 is not a typo, trust me I saw him do terrible things to my Mizzou Tigers in this department. For the Warriors full season players Corey Maggatte was the leading rebounder (Tolliver and Biedrins each played about half season but lets face it, Udoh sleepwalking is probably better than those two) and they need someone who can hit the boards and then outrun everyone down to the other end. I can see Udoh making his way up the board as we get closer to the draft and GState might have to trade up to get him, but they should make every attempt to do so, as a player of this caliber added to the talent they currently have makes this team downright scary.



7. Detroit -- Al-Farouq Aminu. After a disasterous offseason last year, I hope the pistons make some better decisions this year, and first it starts with a good draft. I think they will look upside with this pick, and at this point I dont see anyone who fits perfectly on this team that makes a no brainer pick. Prince and Hamilton are not getting any younger, and with Ben Gordon on the team a guard would not get any shots, so I think they go with Al-Farouq Aminu. A talented F out of wake forest Aminu avg 15 pts and 9 rebs last year for the deacs. I dont know if he will start right away for them, but the talent is there for the future.



8. L.A. Clippers -- Luke Babbit. Another team that could use a g/f type slasher, but there just isnt one I would take here. The clips have the luxury of getting two lottery picks this year (Blake Griffin), and I could definitely see a trade at this spot. With a solid frontline already in tact, im not sure where another PF type fits in. You dont take someone with the 8th pick to play behind or to compete with blake griffin, so to me that rules out Monroe, and Ed Davis. Aldrich is basically a clone of Chris Kaman only less talented, and Daniel Orton/Deandre Jordan are essentially the same thing. To me the best fit here would be Luke Babbit or Xavier Henry. Both a reach at this point, but each could move up the board with strong workouts. For a team that is looking to win with what they have now, I think Babbit will be the best fit sliding in at SF He avged 21pts and 9rebs 42% 3pt while at Nevada and can create his shot. Davis, Gordon, Babbit, Griffin, Kaman is a pretty solid lineup.I would look for a trade in this spot, but if not and I know its a stretch but I take babbit.



9. Utah -- Greg Monroe It would be really funny if they selected Cole Aldrich here, but I am just not sold on Aldrich. Ive watched him the past two years in the Big 12 and he is just NOT a lottery pick talent wise. He has hit his maximized potential, and I just do not think spending a lottery pick on Aaron Gray is a good idea. This is a team that definitely needs a SG/SF type but there isnt really one that they should take and I already used my OMG shocker pick with Babbit (Hopefully he prooves me right and is better than Luke Jackson) so well go safe here. Monroe might be the most talented big man in the draft and would be great piece to the jazz puzzle, especially if they can land a quality SG in Free Agency. Monroe avg 16pts 9rebs 3.8ast and 1.5 blocks per game at Gtown. He should be able to step in and contribute right away

10. Indiana -- Cole Aldrich A lot of people have Ed Davis or Patrick Patterson here but again I just dont see how either of them fit in with this team. Didnt you just draft tyler hansborough? Why then would you draft patrick patterson? I think biggest need is PG as Ford is a chandelier, and there is no viable back-up, but I think Avery Bradley is the best PG prospect and well that is just scary, because he is not that good (OR let me say he is not ready to be good in the NBA). SO in this dream land, cole aldrich is sitting on the board and Indiana doesnt pass it up. He does add so much needed toughness and him and hansborough can clean the glass for years. Im not going to put his stats because i dont want to spend that much time on a gayhawk.

11. New Orleans -- Ed Davis Im not the biggest believers in this type of player in the NBA i.e. a weakling, but I watch a lot of Carolina basketball and the kid is talented thats for sure. The Hornets could used a skilled big man, I say that because they have some frontcourt depth but they dont have any skills. West is more of a pick an pop sort of player and they really dont have a solid back to the basket big guy and Davis can provide that.

12. Memphis -- Donatas Motiejunas I dont know anything about this dude but a lot of mocks have him here, so thats what i am doing to.

13. Toronto -- Hassan Whiteside again i dont know much about him, but i do know that the raptors will need a big body to replace Chris Bosh, and this kid is loaded with talent. Question is does he turn into Kwame Brown or Dwight Howard? Avg 13pts 9rebs and 5.6 blks a game at Marshall, so the talent is there.

14. Houston -- Patrick Paterson solid big who can give the Rockets depth up front.


Time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment